Roxboro Medical Centre’s experienced team of nurses and doctors in Limerick provide men’s health screening and well man checks for all male patients over 18. Men’s health is unique, and at Roxboro, we’re committed to helping all men to stay healthy.
Men’s Health Screening
Men’s health screenings are an essential part of a healthy lifestyle for men of all ages. Did you know that men in Ireland experience a disproportionate burden of ill-health compared to women? Yet men are less likely to seek medical advice compared to women.
Men’s life expectancy is approximately five years less compared to their female counterparts, so it’s essential to track and take care of your health.
Roxboro’s doctors in Limerick deal with men’s health issues that are either unique to men, more common among men, or more serious amongst men.
These conditions may occur for many reasons, including men’s anatomy, behaviours, genetics, or social pressures.
Men’s health screening monitors conditions that are unique to men, including:
- Testicular cancer,
- Prostate enlargement and cancer
- Erectile dysfunction
Men’s health screening also monitors conditions that men are prone to developing, including:
- Cardiovascular disease; heart attacks, high blood pressure, strokes, high cholesterol
- Cancer; lung, colorectal, skin or melanoma, prostate, testicular
- Mental health and suicide
- Excessive alcohol consumption
The most common cause of premature illness and death in Irish men remains heart disease.
Bearing the above in mind, we offer a thorough Well Mans Check here at the Roxboro Medical Centre.
What is a Well Mans Check?
A Well Mans Check is a screening package geared towards your age and specific complaints.
What Does A Well Mans Check Involve?
At your Well Mans Check, your Roxboro Limerick Doctor will take you through a questionnaire and full health history, a complete physical examination and investigations as outlined below:
The History and Screening Questionnaire Looks At Any:
- Current concerns or symptoms
- Relevant family history
- Lifestyle and habits such as smoking, alcohol consumption and activity level
- Past medical history
The Full Examination Checks Your:
- Body Mass Index (BMI)
- Waist circumference
- Blood pressure
- Heart rate/Pulse to check for the rate and rhythm
- Cardiovascular examination
- Respiratory examination
- Neurological examination
- Abdominal examination
- Testicular examination (if applicable)
- Prostate examination (if applicable)
The Investigations Check:
- Full blood count (checking your bone marrow and for anaemia)
- Kidney function test
- Liver function test
- Thyroid function test
- Fasting blood sugar and HBA1C (checking for diabetes)
- Cholesterol and lipid profile
- Iron profile (checking for Hereditary Haemochromatosis)
- Prostate-specific antigen (if applicable, check for prostate cancer)
- Electrocardiogram (Tracing of the heart)
How Long Does A Well Mans Check Take?
A Well Mans Check involves a double appointment initially, including a visit to the nurse and a follow-up visit a week later to go through the relevant findings.